Making and Responding to Requests

Making and Responding to Requests

Sample phrases (from formal to informal)

    A: Could I trouble/bother you to lend me $200?
    B: (positive) Of course, it's no problem/trouble (at all).
    B: (negative) It's impossible for me because I've only got $150.
    A: Could you please take me to the airport tomorrow morning?
    B: (positive) Certainly.
    B: (negative) I wish I could, but I've got an appointment at 8:30.
    A: Will you help me fix this error, please?
    B: (positive) Sure. I'll be glad to.
    B: (negative) I'm afraid I can't. I don't know anything about computers.
    A: Would you mind letting me borrow your book?
    B: (positive) No, not at all.
    B: (negative) I'm sorry, but I need it for next week's exam.
    A: I'd like you to pick up some oil on the way home, if you have time.
    B: (positive) No problem.
    B: (negative) I can't do that because I won't be back until 11:00.
    A: How/What about cleaning your room today?
    B: (positive) No sweat.
    B: (negative) Sorry. I'm going out with Lucy.

See also:

Latest Articles at English Study Materials

Add to Google Reader or Homepage