Expressing Sympathy and Responding

Expressing Sympathy and Responding

Sample phrases (from formal to informal)

    A: I am/was deeply/truly sorry to hear about your grandmother. I understand what you're going through right now.
    B: Thank you very much. I'm deeply moved/touched.
    A: I was sorry/shocked/upset to hear you didn't win the scholarship. I know how disappointed you must feel.
    B: I appreciate your sympathy/kindness. I hope I'll do better next year.
    A: How shocking/awful to hear about your accident. Are you OK?
    B: It's very nice/kind of you to be so concerned but really, I'm fine now.
    A: Too bad you didn't get the raise. I was hoping you would!
    B: Thanks for your support. Sometimes things don't go the way we want, do they?

See also:

Latest Articles at English Study Materials

Add to Google Reader or Homepage